DVLA Dating Service
A useful, and vital (if you have imported a bike, or resurrected one that has been off the road for a long time) service is bike dating. Graham Clemans ('Clem') and ILOC are authorised by the DVLA to perform this service as an authority of Laverda registration dates.
This service is FREE for ILOC members (which almost pays for the membership fee on its own!), or £25 for non-ILOC members
Please contact Graham if you require a machine dating letter to confirm your bike's year of manufacture for registration purposes. This can assist with obtaining an age-related registration number or retention of original registration number. The club is authorised by the DVLA to issue these dating letters. Clem can also provide valuations for insurance purposes and also a letter that confirms a machine is of historic interest.
To ensure your request is handled efficiently please read the following requirements from Clem carefully:
This is what you need to send:
- 2 rubbings (chassis and engine numbers)
- 2 photos (one of left side and one of right side) with newspaper headline in shot
- Front page of the newspaper
- SAE (with the correct stamp)
- ILOC member number or £25 cheque payable to ILOC
- Covering letter
Send to Mr G Clemans, "Greenways", Main Road, Knockholt, Kent, TN14 7LS.
Dating certificate / insurance valuation
I ask all enquirers to do the following. Everybody, without exception, is asked to do the same; there are no ‘mates / special people / old pals / Arthur Daly’s / dealers’ etc. or bung merchants. Everyone is equal as far as this is concerned.
- Make pencil rubbings of the frame and engine numberson thin paper using a soft black pencil.
- Take two photos, one from each side of the bike, and include the front page of a national daily newspaper in the shot with a legible headline (for dating purposes). The newspaper date will likely as not be unreadable, but the headline establishes the paper’s date.
- Print the two photos on photographic paper (minimum postcard size)
- Prepare a self-addressed and correctly stamped envelope(your choice of post service).
- Tell me your ILOC membership number: this will be used to identify the person whose name will appear on the dating certificate/valuation. Valid membership will be checked.
The service is free to ILOC members: non-members are asked to pay a £25 fee(DVLA rules state that the club is not allowed to refuse service to anyone). This £25 fee can be included as a cheque payable to "ILOC"at this same time, which can save time, hassle and postage.
- Send all the above to me at "Greenways", Main Road, Knockholt, Kent, TN14 7LS. My actual title (not known by many) is Graham P Clemans.
This might sound "too official" but it is not intended to: the reasons are simple. I do not claim any ILOC expenses, and so that my costs are kept to a minimum, the enquirer pays for the printing ink; paper and the SAE. The process is also not dependent on my computer working at all times (which cannot be guaranteed), since the reply letter can be hand written as long as on ILOC headed paper. As I am required to keep records, the photos and rubbings will be retained
Please do not try to tell me what date you think is the appropriate year or the value. I am aware that you all want free road tax (pre 1972, soon to be advanced to 1973?) or MOT exemption (pre 1960). Then there is the classic cut-off date which varies between insurers, some at 15 others at 20 and a few at 25 years from manufacture.
The rules from DVLA are simple, if lengthy and I am human. If I cock up once then ILOC’s 600 odd members will cease to have the right to this service, and since I do the same for the VMCC, they might lose it too (that’s all 17,000 members, not just the Laverda element), so I will be doing my utmost not to put my neck on the line. This does not affect genuine people. I am happy to communicate by any means, but don’t take it for granted that because you have sent an email or text that I have seen it. If you want to be sure then talk to me, on a land line or mobile.
Regrettably, and again I do not wish to sound harsh, but if any of the 6 points above are not fulfilled then there will be no contact from me. It is up to you to contact me and ask why there has been no progress (that’s your phone call not mine), since I do not intend spending time and money chasing missing items.
Usually the request can be turned round in a matter of hours, but like everyone else I do go away for weekends and holidays in the summer for as long as three weeks.
Best wishes to all
Phone: +44 (0)1959 532316
Mobile: +44 (0)7778 018464